Jailbird

Friday, January 23, 2009

Jailbird

Written By. Kurt Vonnegut

For those of you who know me at all, you know that I really enjoy reading the works of Kurt Vonnegut. I by no means endorse his writings for these historical fictions are full of political satires, black humor, science fiction, and at times can be a bit crude. 

Somehow Vonnegut Lures me in...

Time and time again I am amazed at his view on life. Not that I often find myself conforming to these views but rather how he makes me take a look at what is going on around me, in my world, its the irony of life!

Vonnegut's writings and artwork are full of underlying themes and reoccurring characters that seem to be a product of his own bizarre life; a mother who committed suicide at a young age, life as a prisoner of war in which he survived the bombing at Dresden, among other events that don't ever happen to the average Joe.

This year alone I have read about 10 of Vonneguts books and a few short stories, the most recent of these, Jailbird. Jailbird, drops a fictional character, Walter F. Starbuck into history; highlighting details of capitalism, U.S. labor unions, famous trials, and the Watergate scandal. This tale explores a crazy set of coincidences that surround the life of Walter and shape him into the man he has become. Another of Vonnegut's masterpieces in my opinion!

0 comments: