A Broken Heart.

Sunday, September 7, 2008


Week one complete...

What an amazing book right? I really enjoy reading literature that really challenges my way of thinking. It is hard to digest all that Beah sets up in the first 5 chapters. War, hunger, loss, violence, a culture so far from my pampered American way of life. The hardest fact however is that these soldiers, killers, are only babies. As an individual grows into and adult he/she develops the ability think clearly, provide for their needs, and to survive on their own. The only thing Ishmael, his brother and friends know to do is Run. It gets my blood boiling thinking of the beasts who can look straight into the eyes of these innocent children, yet still bring them so much pain. This book really tugs on my emotions. I was especially afraid when the rebel soldiers almost assassinated Ishmael, and other women and children in order to break the wills of their new child recruits. Thank God they escaped! I just wish I hold these babies, and protect them. I am ready to read on...

Also, my husband challenged me to watch the movie Blood Diamonds this week, in order to get a real visual of the life of a child soldier. I wept!

1 comments:

granny gray said...

I never thought that really the only choices the boys had were run or die. It made me thankful for living in a country where I still have "choices".These boys had lost their "freedom" to live their childhood.